A true test of any man’s manliness is how freaking much they love to eat Jerky. Ask any true man what their favourite meal is and 8/10 will say something steak/beef related. Jerky is just another delicious way of eating a load of meat in one go without needing to expand your stomach to the size of a small calf. Since Jerky is dehydrated meat it shrinks down in size meaning a large hunk of meat easily becomes the size of a small bowl.
I got this recipe from Food 52, a fantastic website which is full of variety and inspiration, so please check her out. This makes some really super tasty jerky which I have to admit I ate within about an hour of it being ready. But sure it’s all good protein anyway! The beauty of this recipe is that you can toy with marinade ingredients to suit your tastes. Just make sure that you taste it before adding the meat as there’s no going back after this point.
You will need:
1 kg of lean beef (if there’s a reduced to clear section in the supermarket take advantage!)
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup apple or pear juice
1/2 rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar works fine too)
1/4 toasted sesame oil
1 jalapeno, seeds in or removed depending on how spicy you like it
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves, skins removed
4 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp pepper
Few pinches of chili powder and paprika (optional)
How to do it:
1. Freeze your meat until solid. This make it easier to slice into thin strips which is what you do next. Place the thin strips into a large dish:
2. Place all of the rest of the ingredients in a food processor except for the salt, sesame seeds, pepper, chili powder and paprika and blitz until completely smooth. Pour over the beef to marinate. Cover and set into the fridge for at least 8 hours but preferably overnight:
After 2 hours flip the beef over. The smell at this point will be incredible.
After the final 2 hours the jerky is ready to eat, yep straight from the oven. The low cooking temperature means it won’t be too hot and to be honest at this point you’ll just want to devour it.
Thanks for reading,
- Best Homemade Beef Jerky (ask.metafilter.com)
- Primal Jerky (unintentionalvegan.com)
- Road Trips: Food for thought when you’re traveling (roadloans.com)
- How To Make Salty, Tender, And Delicious Beef Jerky (buzzfeed.com)
- How To Make Salty, Tender, And Delicious Beef Jerky (joannegreco.wordpress.com)
- This Filet Mignon Jerky is Coated in 23 Karat Gold (foodbeast.com)
- Organic Beef Jerky-Jerky Direct Giveaway (simplyathomemom.com)