With all this baking malarkey going on at the minute I like to balance it out by eating something fresh and seasonal. This salad is exactly that, making full use of the pomegranate. Pumpkin would be a great addition to this too. Some cubed and roasted served hot would really lift this dish. Dam why didn’t I have any on hand.
Just ahead of the Great Irish Bake Off Final this Thursday on TV3 at 9pm I’m making a few TV appearances so I also want to eat well in order to look well! How cool am I?
You will need:
1 little gem lettuce
¼ red onion
½ red pepper
Small handful of pecans
½ pomegranate, seeds and juice
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
½ tsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional extras: Chicken strips, Boiled eggs, Ham slices etc.
How to do it:
- Chop the lettuce finely and place into a bowl. Slice the avocados and peppers, dice the onions. Set aside half of the onion and put the remaining into the bowl with the avocado and peppers.
- Toast the nuts in a pan briefly to release the oil and aroma.
- Put everything else into a jam jar with a lid (or similar container) and shake well to emulsify. Toss the pecans onto the salad along with any extras (I used chicken). Drizzle over the dressing and serve straight away.
I love how the pomegranate cuts across the apple cider vinegar to give a slightly sweet kick to the salad. There’s a nice blend of textures here, the crunchiness from the lettuce and nuts, the softness from the avocado and the juicy peppers help keep this interesting to eat. I really just wish I had some pumpkin to throw into the mix now!
This one only takes 10 minutes to whip together and will leave you feeling very healthy for the rest of the day. That is until the baking cupboard gets opened….
Thanks for reading again and remember to try and tune in this Thursday TV3 at 9pm to see if I get crowned Ireland’s best amateur home baker 2013! If you need to catch up on any episodes click here!
- Pear and Parmesan Salad (mintyandgreen.com)
- Simple Salads (mariaiswriting.wordpress.com)
- Literally a 5 Ingredient meal… Quick & Healthy! (dietitiandrive.com)
- The Best Salad and how to make it (littlechefgreatfood.wordpress.com)
- Autumn Pumpkin Quinoa Salad (pumpsandiron.com)
- Autumn Comfort Food: Maple Roasted Delicata Squash (truefoodlove.wordpress.com)
- Light Autumn Meal: Soup and Salad Night (ouryearinnyc.wordpress.com)
- Autumn Harvest Kale Salad (illustratednutrition.com)