First blog entry since the finale of the Great Irish Bake Off! I have been flat out busy since then let me tell you. Interviews, demos, appearances, dinners, meetings etc have been non stop since. Don’t get me wrong I’m glad to be so busy and that people are still interested even now that the show’s over.
Sp today I found myself with a bit of spare time before work tonight. Skiing is work right? Anyway I’ve made these a few times before and it’s such a fail safe and quick recipe to do so I thought I would get an entry back in the blog.
The current health kick trend has produced a whole range of unusual and completely new snacks and dishes on the menus of restaurants, cafes and the likes. Wholesalers are buying into it as well and supply such snacks in packets, the problem being that most aren’t what they claim to be. Many ‘low fat’ or snacks are loaded with sugar to retain the taste and the ‘low calorie’ ones are loaded with artificial sweeteners which aren’t too good for you. But here we have an all natural and quick snack which you have complete control over.
You will need:
2 large handfuls of raw kale
2 tbsp olive oil (or any cooking oil available to you)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 ts cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
How to do it:
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan and line a baking tray.
2. Place the kale into a bowl and drizzle with the oil. Sprinkle over the spices and mix with your hands until the leaves are evenly coated.
3. Spread over the baking tray.
Bake for 15-20 minutes. The leaves will wilt in the oven and dry slightly so don’t worry. When the leaves at the side begin to colour remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before eating.
It’s surprising how similar to potato crisps these actually are in terms of the crunch you get. The best thing about these-the infinite number of ways you can prepare them. The spices I’ve used above are just what I fancied today. Choose your own, mix and match, be adventurous with your flavours. Maybe you’ll find one you really like.
Thank for reading,
- Spicy Kale Chips (lindalouhamel.com)
- 10 Days of Fast & Fit Snacks: Kale Chips (naclandpepper.wordpress.com)
- Kale chips – crunchy, light and delicious! (sionsveggietales.wordpress.com)
- Kale Chips ~ An Easy Healthy Snack (sincerelymoietsy.wordpress.com)
- Baked Kale Crisps DIY (uggysburtnest.wordpress.com)
- Kale chips (denverrealfood.wordpress.com)
- Kale crisps with zaatar (alternativefoodexplorer.wordpress.com)
- Kale Chips – so tasty you’ll want to make a double batch!! (mindfultreat.wordpress.com)